Over the past four days I finished reading the Cinema of Frank Cole.
Notes:
"Placebo Singers of Howard Stone" by John Greyson
Page 93 "The camera did not observe, it stored"
Page 95: history of the placebo.
Makes final film sound very homo-erotic.
"Call me Dr. Death" interview by Gary Nichol
"To Live or Not To Live" by Peter Mettler
Page 119, "Frank abhored decay and transformation, disappearance, loss of control".
Page 120, "I believe filmmakers make variations of the same film over and over again".
Postcards to Rick Taylor
Page 127: Sadness.
"Reading the Desert" by Deirdre Logue
Page 135 "Back home, the pictures show the difference between signs pointing in the right direction and signs pointing in the only direction.".
"Sahara Journal" by Cole
Page 136, "I could prove it symbolically, not scientifically, because I am an artist, not a doctor".
"A sending without any Recipient" by Yann Beauvais
"Why should these wells be marked on his map? ... Everything conforms to what is written".
"Regarding Frank Cole" by Ben Vandoorne
Page 156, "In the desert there are roads and paths. But the crossing does not truly begin until these roads and paths disappear. From then on, you are not crossing the desert, you are part of it. The desert is an ideal observation point for seeing ourselves more clearly. It is the heart of the world."
"Life without Life (the camels are more human)" by Steve Reinke
Page 159, "film is fetishism; video, narcissism"
"I'm always disturbed by the use of foleyed audio in otherwise documentary film. I wish it were inverted; I wish we listened to the world and made up whatever images we wished."
Page 161, "This grotesque foley betrays a comically sadistic view of reproduction".
"I come here for the rites of your unworlding" by Mike Cartmell
Page 169, "The story has a structural and necessary lack in it, a fundamental incompleteness."
Page 174, "moments of unwatchability..."
"Life without" by Julie Murray
Page 177; physicals/metaphor of sand.
Notes:
"Placebo Singers of Howard Stone" by John Greyson
Page 93 "The camera did not observe, it stored"
Page 95: history of the placebo.
Makes final film sound very homo-erotic.
"Call me Dr. Death" interview by Gary Nichol
"To Live or Not To Live" by Peter Mettler
Page 119, "Frank abhored decay and transformation, disappearance, loss of control".
Page 120, "I believe filmmakers make variations of the same film over and over again".
Postcards to Rick Taylor
Page 127: Sadness.
"Reading the Desert" by Deirdre Logue
Page 135 "Back home, the pictures show the difference between signs pointing in the right direction and signs pointing in the only direction.".
"Sahara Journal" by Cole
Page 136, "I could prove it symbolically, not scientifically, because I am an artist, not a doctor".
"A sending without any Recipient" by Yann Beauvais
"Why should these wells be marked on his map? ... Everything conforms to what is written".
"Regarding Frank Cole" by Ben Vandoorne
Page 156, "In the desert there are roads and paths. But the crossing does not truly begin until these roads and paths disappear. From then on, you are not crossing the desert, you are part of it. The desert is an ideal observation point for seeing ourselves more clearly. It is the heart of the world."
"Life without Life (the camels are more human)" by Steve Reinke
Page 159, "film is fetishism; video, narcissism"
"I'm always disturbed by the use of foleyed audio in otherwise documentary film. I wish it were inverted; I wish we listened to the world and made up whatever images we wished."
Page 161, "This grotesque foley betrays a comically sadistic view of reproduction".
"I come here for the rites of your unworlding" by Mike Cartmell
Page 169, "The story has a structural and necessary lack in it, a fundamental incompleteness."
Page 174, "moments of unwatchability..."
"Life without" by Julie Murray
Page 177; physicals/metaphor of sand.
No comments:
Post a Comment