I read chapters three and four of "Frankenstein, a cultural history" (Susan Tyler Hitchcock, W.W. Norton, New York, 2007) (one chapter yesterday, one before I go to bed this evening, less than two hours into this sabbatical). This book is not highly critical but contains numerous interesting things to consider regarding Frankenstein, the book, the mythology, and the treatment of it over time. I am interested in re-engaging with Frankenstein over the next couple of years as its bicentennial is approaching. I was intreaged by the idea that the monster developed more as a theatre performance than a novel in its early years with the monster having long hair and blue skin. I'm also amazed that a satire calling him Frankenstitch had already emerged by 1823 in "Another Piece of Presumption" by Richard Peake (page 87). Chapter 4 focuses more on how Frankenstein began to be altered and used as a metaphor for changes and fears of changes within the 19th century. An early interpretation of the monster as a machine came in 1924 with Frank-in-steam (page 101). An 1854 political cartoon by Tenniel shows the monster as made from munition parts as representing the Russian army (page 110). It mentions scientific advancements such as Leyden jars which I'd like to follow up on.
No comments:
Post a Comment