Started reading article by Steve Reinke in "The Sharpest Point: animation at the end of cinema" (ed. Chris Gehman and Steve Reinke, YYZ Books, Toronto, 2005). While I have not had enough quiet time today to immerse, I was excited by ideas of animation reclaiming it's 19th century birthright through computer based cinema which doesn't rely on capturing reality. "If we move from lens to a computer based production of images, can there still be representation of the world? No.". (page 16). This has inspired my video of the day, "Big Cock on Parliament Hill" which takes animated walking shot during a workshop a few months ago with a rooster sock puppet (made my Margaret Bessai in the late 90s, puppetteered my me today), and a photo I took while traveling last year. Animation and effects completely negates representation, like collage. I'll be working more with these ideas with my "Rerun" project.
No comments:
Post a Comment